Thursday, November 15, 2012

Handy Dandy House Cleaning Notebook - Sell Your House Someday

You Will Sell Your House Someday
      In the meantime...enjoy a tidy, well maintained home.

     If you have ever sold your house and rushed to do the deep cleaning, niggly repairs and finish those projects that have languished for years, you know how exhausting and stressful it can be. 
     Sarah Turner has done what most of us vow to do...fix the problem before it becomes a problem.  Step by step.  Here is how she does it.  Check more of her home treasures at http://www.memoriesoncloverlane.com/.

Spring/Fall Cleaning and/or Sell This House!

Here's how I spring clean:
I take a notebook.
I make a heading for each room. Even closets.
I imagine that I'm a potential buyer of this house. You know...PRETEND!...and see the room through someone else's eyes.
I stand in each room and look around and see all the imperfections.
Then I write down what needs to be done if I were to put it up for sale. Every single thing.
Yes, this is scary.
But it works.
For example, in my master bath, the shower really needs to be recaulked because some of it is peeling off and it looks messy. One of the towel bars is coming out of the walls. (Hmmm, someone swinging perhaps?) And I think the closet in my bath needs to have some reorganization...bigger plastic bins for medicine and so forth are in order. It looks messy.
I write that all down. Numbered.
And proceed to the next room.
EVERY SINGLE ROOM.
No matter how small OR big, I write down what needs to be done.
That's my Master List for the year.
I go through it once or twice a year, and sometimes it doesn't get all done, but that's OK.
Because when it's written down I know it will be, eventually.

I came up with this method when I had to show our past two houses in order to move. I learned this: It's super super annoying to have to do all those little things you procrastinated for years, for SOMEONE ELSE! My houses never looked so good as when they were ready to be put on the market. This really annoyed me. And I vowed it would never ever happen again. (I'm just kidding on that last sentence...I'm really not that dramatic about something so trivial.)

But this way, I don't feel overwhelmed about all the little repairs and improvements that need to be done, because I know I'm working on them.

When my list in my handy dandy notebook is done, I carry it with me to the first room, when I'm ready to get to the "cleaning" part. This way, I can write down what I need, the measurements, and so forth, and put all that on a separate sheet in the notebook. I can go to the store with my list, maybe 3 rooms out, and get everything I need, without making constant errand runs. If I need a new curtain, or organization bins, I have the measurements right there.

Then I scrub like I'm showing the place.

Sometimes, I know I will get just one room done a day. Or maybe even one a week. I set a realistic goal for myself so I won't burn out and I can still keep up with my daily happenings.

I relegate to a separate page, those BIG projects...painting a leaky ceiling, finding a new chair for the den, hanging grasscloth in the dining room, (yes I bought some, CHEAP!) etc., so I don't get too slowed down. This list can also serve as a "wish list" if I can't get it all done right away.

But the first step, remember, WRITE IT DOWN. Get a cute notebook at Target, your HOME IMPROVEMENT notebook, and start pretending.
 

6 comments:

  1. purehousecleaning.com, committed to provide you the effective Green house cleaning Bellevue. We provide you eco-friendly residential maid service and commercial cleaning service. Our goal is to achieve a healthier lifestyle through green cleaning. Our companies pay for and provide all top of the line cleaning supplies and equipments. We are proud member of the Washington State House Cleaners Association and working in this field from many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning is an important and essential part in our daily lives. We do all the efforts to keep our house neat and clean, but cannot succeed. Now you can secure your home from dust, dirt and germs because the masters in cleaning are here to help you. We are kleencarpet.ca, most recommended and reliable website for house cleaning in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newyorklimous.com is the most prominent limousine company with the newest and largest fleet of luxury town car. We offer a full complement of transportation needs in the New York and metropolitan NYC areas. Limo New York US have been a premier Limousine service Company since 1986 and provide you the finest ground transportation. We are the leader in professional transportation since many years for finest corporate wedding, prom parties, airport transfers and special occasion with luxury and exotic stretch limousines.

    Limousine services provide exceptional limo services throughout the greater New York and Connecticut areas and their entire airport car service. We have the best stretch limos in the city to make your big night extra special. Limo in nyc providing a full service limousine and coach services in New York & 350 cities worldwide. limo service in new York is the preferred provider for all your luxury transportation needs. We offer reliable and high quality limousine in new york at competitive rates. We also have super stretch limousine for private groups 14-16 passengers.   
    You can always count on clean newer models, a vast variety, professional chauffeurs and prompt arrival, at the lowest rates in the limousine industry. Each of our chauffeurs is professional, knowledgeable, discreet, and very familiar with the particular needs of the business traveler. All tours in luxury limousines- Pick-up at your hotel and drop-off at any location in NYC. Once you have been experienced our level of limo service New York, you will realize you have made an excellent choice in selecting us as your ground transportation. We are available for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve you.  
    Limo New York ny service is easy to find and hard to surpass when you ride with New York Limo US International. We promise we give your trip and vacations with limousine with extra special touch to your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green house cleaning Bellevue
    purehousecleaning.com, committed to provide you the effective Green house cleaning Bellevue. We provide you eco-friendly residential maid service and commercial cleaning service. Our goal is to achieve a healthier lifestyle through green cleaning. Our companies pay for and provide all top of the line cleaning supplies and equipments. We are proud member of the Washington State House Cleaners Association and working in this field from many years. House Cleaning Seattle provides all-natural, green cleaners help to protect the environment and provide you safe clean indoor air.
    We offer specialized services of House Cleaning Seattle wa that range from carpet, window and gardening services. Our pure house cleaning provides you the special care for your art, oriental rugs, millwork and even high-end electronics. Our Green house cleaning seattle clean naturally using nontoxic products to get your home clean and healthy. House Cleaning in Seattle professionals are locally owned and operated for green house cleaning service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burr Ridge House Cleaning Anyone consider pleasure with your local community plus your house. Why don't we make the idea a thing to seriously be satisfied     with? Chicagosimplyclean.com provides trusted home cleaning during Burr Ridge, IL. Just about all affairs concerning House cleaning are generally dealt with by simply 1 business within Burr Ridge. You can view many 326 cities which could meet ones demand with regard to House cleaning. Many of us cope with household, condo, condominiums, in addition to janitorial services, cleaning services, in addition to workplace services. You can expect the complete advantages particular to where you live for top level security year-round. Burr Ridge House Cleaning gets around thirty five involving rainfall yearly and is also at risk of large thunderstorms which usually take place frequently in the evening over the summer time. Many of us happy to offer our own buyers within Burr Ridge House Cleaning a brand new engineering which could help save them occasion in addition to dollars. Downers Grove House Cleaning Many of us assure budget friendly selling price, attention to facts and also good quality Downers Grove House Cleaning assistance. Every day, once a week, bi-weekly, month-to-month, at times, move around in, move out or perhaps 1 time cleaning. Many of us experienced with recommendations, virtually any measurement residence, apartment as well as company. We've been covered for the defense. One or two individual Downers Grove House Cleaning. Fulfillment secured. Different environment-friendly varied products and services incorporate Cleaning Solutions, Business oriented Cleaning, Residential Cleaning and also Home cleaning within Downers Grove and also suburbs, Il (IL). Many of us are known for making certain your organization can be cleaned out the proper way once. By simply evening out timeless cleaning techniques using the proficiency of cutting-edge cleaning apparatus, you can easily thoroughly clean the organization with extraordinary excellent from perfect worth. Eco House Naperville Making use of Eco House Naperville household cleaning organization techniques just makes sense in order to people since it protects our own home cleaning service experts, our own shoppers, in addition to our world. And we live very pleased to express environment friendly household cleaning tips in addition to techniques in which assist our own areas follow fit. Each of our home Eco House Naperville artwork companies can give the house more than simply a gorgeous in addition to clean finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Frndz.....
    Nice Blog........
    Great Information! Nice post,it is really very helpful for me.One of the few articles I’ve read today.I’m saying thanks

    Carpet Cleaning Oshawa

    ReplyDelete